Wednesday, March 20, 2013

“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” -Molière

I thought I'd put together a little blog post about my shoot with Barney the Beagle, because it was one to remember. I like to think that dogs and myself have something of a special connection, a mutual respect and understanding. Let me sit down with you, give you treats, make beautiful photos of you, and i'll be on my merry way, leaving you to your napping, and guarding of the house.

Barney was different. If Barney sensed the "mutual respect" present, he wanted nothing to do with it. Barney didn't want me, or any other person, in his house or most especially near his momma.  It wasn't his fault, he's a dutiful beagle and as far as he's concerned his job is guarding the house.

After 20 minutes of trying to soothe and become pals, I admit that - in the words of Tim Gunn - I had concerns.  I honestly wasn't sure, for the first time in my career as a photographer, if we were going to be able to do the shoot. Barney was snarling, biting my feet (thanks to Chicago's never ending winter, I had boots on), and generally quite unhappy with the presence of a visitor.

I had a choice to make, do I walk away in the name of not getting bitten, or surge forward.  I devised a plan.  In the name of mutual respect, I would get no closer than 5 feet to Barney or his Mom.  Since I mostly shoot with prime lenses, and would be able to crop in post-pro, there would be no reason i'd need to get any closer than that. It worked, and we got beautiful images of Barney and his little family.  I would say this probably ranks in my top 5 of most difficult shoots, but just like the tough shoots before it, I'm very proud of the way it came out.

So much natural light pouring in. I love winter light! 
My husband saw this shot over my shoulder and said "Is that the dog that didn't like you? He looks like such a little angel!" I knew then I had done my job :) 

Barney chillin'. 

Barney and his precious mom. 



I love shooting against these old brick walls that are all over Chicago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment